Monday, October 10, 2011

"Pursue excellence and success will follow." - Rancho, 3 Idiots

Since it's Columbus Day Vanna has the day off.  It's actually a blessing in disguise because I can post without her incessant lists.  Stay with me on this one . . .

I'm a big movie junkie and I came across a movie the other day that hit home.  Sometimes when I'm adding movies into my Netflix queue I get into a really artsy mood and add a bunch of independent or foreign films.  Side note:  Stop being ridiculous, Netflix.  Make a decision and stick with it.

Anyway, I had added a Bollywood movie titled 3 Idiots, which was directed by Rajkumar Hirani.  I honestly can't tell you why I added it my list.  Since I couldn't think of why I wanted to watch this film I almost sent it back without seeing it.  Economic sense got the better of me since I figured I had paid for it I might as well watch it.

The basic premise of the movie is about two friends who go on a journey with their collegiate adversary to find their long-lost friend.  The two friends haven't seen their missing compatriot for ten years and miss him dearly.  The adversary is looking to find the missing person to fulfill on a ten year bet that he is the most successful out of their graduating class.  During the journey there are flashbacks of how the 3 Idiots became fast friends as college freshmen and the pressure of succeeding to escape poverty that was so prevelant in India.  Don't fret.  It's not nearly as depressing as Slumdog Millionaire.  It hits on the importance of learning instead of being right, and if you follow what feel in your heart, you'll never be a failure. 

One note:  If you've never seen a Bollywood movie, there will be musical numbers throughout the film.  If you can sit through movies about sparkly vampires, you can sit through people singing.    

What sucker punched me right in the heart was a moving scene at the end when one of the three friends goes to a highly anticipated interview after months of emotional and physical tumult.  His reaction to being asked how he would fit into the culture of the corporate world stunned me.  I don't know if I can fully explain the emotions and feelings this movie stirred up in me.  I do know that I can't make you feel the same way I felt after seeing 3 Idiots.  My hope is you can have the courage to face your future, even if it's for two hours at a time. 

I give it 4 out of 4 staplers.

Positive Thought of the Day:
"The movies we love and admire are to some extent a function of who we are when we see them." - Mary Schmich

No comments:

Post a Comment